In March 2010 we bought kayaks and started paddling. I think our first paddle was 13 miles on Armand Bayou. Not long after that, we signed up for the Colorado River 100 and I started reading every thing I could find about ultra-distance paddling, including the Texas Water Safari. It's funny, you read about some thing as brutal and intimidating as the safari and if you're like me, you know that there's pretty much no way around it...it's going to happen.
The CR100 was on the first weekend of September, so we spent most of the summer “training”. I hesitate to use the word “training” here, because what we did was the bare minimum. We took a trip out to Wimberly for Memorial weekend and paddled the San Marcos from Staples dam to Zedler Mill, in Luling. For the most part, only safari racers paddle this section, because as I mentioned in the last post, it's choked with downed trees. It was worth it. There were some hilarious “accidents”, the best of which was Justin trying to shoot the gap under a tree, running face first into a thick branch, snapping the branch, then flipping. Once we realized he still had all of his teeth we thought it was damn funny. Justin, we're still laughing at that one. I should also mention, we didn't know exactly where we were going. We neglected to bring a map or program the take out into our gps. Matt and Kris pulled over at Luling 90, while me and Justin paddled on looking for Zedler Mill and our truck...hopefully before dark. We did make it before dark. A couple of safari racers were out training and told us where we were. I'm sure they were a bit confused as to why we were on this section of river, with our car parked at Zedler, and no idea where we were...
As I said, CR100 training was minimal. We went for some long paddles on the weekends and that was about it. Once in a while, I'd get out during the week for a shorter paddle, but the heat/humidity were brutal on any kind of intense paddle. This is where I learned a valuable lesson: you MUST have electrolytes. One weekend I launched into Halls Bayou with a plan of paddling all the way down the bayou to West Bay, then back (about 25 miles). I probably paddled a bit too hard on the way down and I was considering taking a longer route that would run into the bay, east along the ICW, and up another bayou. I actually called my brother to get him to map out the distance on google earth. The route was further than I thought, so I decided I didn't have enough water or food and would be better off sticking with the original plan. This would turn out to be a REALLY good decision. I eventually made it to West Bay and pulled over on a gravel bar for a short break. On the way back, things fell apart. My stomach started cramping and my energy bottomed out. At the time, I didn't click to what it was. My muscles were a little sore, I thought I just paddled too hard on the way down and over heated. In reality, I had nothing for electrolytes. I had been drinking Boost (for calories) and plain water. Boost has some amount of sodium and potassium, but not nearly enough.
The next 2.5 hours, for lack of a better description, really sucked. I had enough energy to paddle hard, but not enough to sustain it. I'd paddle several hard strokes, slump over, let the boat glide to a stop, paddle several hard strokes...not fun. Also, I'm pretty stubborn. Had there been road access some where I'm still not sure if I would have called for a ride. I'm serious. There wasn't a single reasonable bail out point and I probably wouldn't have taken one any way. That sounds stupid (some times it is), but it's important information when you're getting into some thing like the safari. In training, I try to get use to the idea that the only way out is to keep moving. Doesn't matter how shitty you feel or how slow you're going. Relentless forward motion. Temporary relief from pain/discomfort isn't worth much compared to what you gain from clawing your way out of these situations. I don't think you have to be the most elite, experienced endurance athlete to see this. Just go outside and hike, bike or run until you start to feel trashed...then turn around and do it again. You'd be surprised how much further you can push yourself.
It took me a couple of days or so to “recover” from that paddle and soon after that I started using a product called Endurolyte. Endurolyte is an electrolyte powder that has every thing you need and none of the unnecessary sugar that sports drinks have. You either mix the powder into your water or you buy the capsules and pop them every hour. It works. We went out for a tougher than expected paddle (more on that later) the other weekend and didn't bring any endurolyte. After a few warm hours of paddling upstream, we wished we had.
There were, of course, some things I actually did do a good job of preparing for the CR100. My nutrition (which is hugely important in these races), hydration, rigging, and lighting all worked reasonably well. A few weeks before the race we did a night time training run on the last section of the course. La Grange to Columbus is 38 miles, it's the slowest section of the course, and all racers will end up running at least a portion of it in the dark Overall, I'd say this was a good training run. When I left the La Grange checkpoint I knew exactly what to expect, I knew exactly how boring it was going to get (haha), and most important, I knew I'd finish.
One of these days, I'll get around to writing that race report. I'm only 7 months late. For now, I'll just say that it was a hell of an experience. I met some really cool, interesting people on the river and I learned plenty. As an example, I will never again drink beer (no matter how good the beer is) the night before and coffee the morning of a race. Yea...I'll leave it at that. Also, some what related to the previous statement: stop time kills you in these races. I finished in 20:54 (almost 4 am) and about 1 hour of that was stop time. There were at least a few people that I passed multiple times on the river. My pace was a bit faster than theirs, so I'd cruise past, then when I was stopped (for what ever reason) they'd pass me. As awsome as it was to have Nick and Jimmy show up to crew for me (you guys did great) the temptation to stop at the check point to chat was too much, haha. The only long stop I had was La Grange, and I was dragging a bit when I got there. All of the little stops do add up though. Overall, I think it's better to just keep moving. You get enough of a charge just from seeing people and being cheered in and out of the check points.
Wow, I need to wrap this up. Yes, the CR100 was tough, more mentally than physically though. The pace is more of a quick cruise, nothing intense. It's the total miles and hours out there that get you. Muscles that are a little tired/sore at mile 30 are REALLY tired/sore at mile 100. After a while, you just ignore it and keeping digging. I left La Grange (mile 62) and paddled as hard as I'd paddled all day for a good 2.5-3 hours, so yea, you really can ignore it, to an extent. Mentally, it is tough at times, but if you're determined to finish, nothing on that course is going to stop you.
Next time: The
I am sure bonking on the water is a lot less fun than bonking on land...
ReplyDeleteHonestly, they both suck. LOL. The similar experience I had while hiking wasn't fun either. The only difference was, that time, I was only 2 miles from the parking lot. Those 2+ hours on the bayou were brutal.
ReplyDelete